Monday, January 19, 2009

Shopping for clothes in Kyoto when you're a college female in poverty

Yet another "useful" post with my advice on how to survive Kyoto on a low budget! Hehehe. This time it's about shopping for clothes because lately I've been finding some pretty noteworthy but hidden places. Sure, everyone knows Shijo-Kawaramachi, but do you really want to be wearing something everyone else is, that costs about $50?

To get a general idea, back in America, I buy most of my stuff at Forever 21, and the necessities (jeans, etc) at Macy's. I know, not incredibly classy stuff, but I feel Forever 21 lets you choose your own unique personal style for cheap. :-)


I bought these shoes today (1350 yen)! They were in a store called something like "Honey" in the underrated, undervisited underground mall Zest that's around the Shiyakusho (this means a little north of Sanjo on Kawaramachi). Honey's clothes were very deal worthy, ranging from 500 yen for sale items, about 950-2000 yen for shirts, 2000 yen for jeans, and 2000-5000 yen for jackets. Shoes ranged from 500-2000 yen. Overall, amazing steals for Japanese clothing, and there was practical stuff like fancy shirts, bags, accessories, etc. I'm also just REALLY greatful to find shoes for my apparently size LLL feet (though L at this store - I'm a 9 1/2 in America and a 25-25.5 in Japan).



Breaking with my intro paragraph, here's something right off Teramachi - coming from the Shijo side, I believe. Clef de Sol has done me proud when the shopping urge hits. In front of the store are racks of cute clothes for 980-1980 yen. I'm never really interested in the stuff inside. These were each something like 980 yen (scarf included). One downside with most Japanese stores is that you can't try on shirts that are on sale.





While exploring yesterday, I ran into a recycle shop on Nishioji-Oike. I don't remember its name, but it was amazing, and had a lot of clothing for all ages. It also included kimonos, shoes, antiques/ceramics, music, electronics, furniture. ALL very reasonably priced. This trench coat was 300yen (meaning $3)!!!!! (look at the cute inside pattern!)





Another wonderful chain in the Teramachi area. Thank You Mart is down the Sanjo side - just go straight back from Kappa Zushi at Sanjo Kawaramachi. Thank You Mart is in a basement under the gross Shakey's pizza. Everything there is 390 yen. A lot of it is kitschy Spencer's gifts gag-like stuff, but there's also used clothes (including jeans), t-shirts, incense, accessories, hats, scarves and the like. Here's a long sweater I got for the 390yen they're asking for.




Last but not least - it's a little late now - but my sister and I obsessed over fukubukuro at the beginning of the year. Almost every store in Japan has these "lucky bags" that cost a set price and have a random jib jab of stuff from the store. Sometimes you know the general idea of the contents, sometimes it's a complete mystery. Starbucks and some random tofu store even had them. Every single one I got was successful (ranging from a 525yen one to a 3990 yen one). With clothes, I recommend you split the bag with someone in case of stuff not matching your style or size. I really liked the ones in 109-2 in Shibuya (Tokyo). Unfortunately I missed fuku-bukuros in Kyoto... except for the one shown here! It's a 3000yen fukubukuro from a chirimen store (the type of fabric) by Fushimi Inari shrine. It was an awesome deal and I have great omiyage! This particular bag included: a jewelry box, a pillow, 3 purses (of varying cuteness/elegance), 2 headbands, 2 cellphone straps, 1 t-shirt, and a scarf.

No comments: